I'm writing you this letter as I head up to go hiking the Cliffs of the Nuese ... with my Branch Mission Leader and an investigator. So, I would like to apologize for my sloppy hand writing, in advance.
One of the BEST kept secrets is how hard and how much work there is in mission. There is nothing easy about a mission. It is demanding, both physically and mentally. The mental is a lot more important, than the physical. For example, being able to study for four hours a day... that was a shock to me!! Another thing is that even though you are doing the right thing... you still will face trials. God will tear you down to nothing before ...he builds and refines you. He wants to be able to use us after our missions... so he gives us the opportunity to grow through trials. Even as a missionary!! There will be hard times. Just remember you will be here to serve the Lord not for yourself, during your mission. You will grow but that is a side effect!! You are here to do the will for the Lord. Allow yourself to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord. You can do that by going to seminary, BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY!! Participate!! Do your scripture study... every night!! Make the gospel a part of you!! Make living it a habit!! " Bear your testimony at all times and if necessary use your words."
Bro West and Sister Pate and her family
My companion, Elder Sanchez and me with Brother West and Sister West
Along our hike
But the mission is AWESOME!! You will be able to refer back to it every day of your life!! Always look for opportunities to serve!!
Last week Elder Sanchez and I were following up on a potential investigator and try to set up a return appointment. We were done with that ... we got back in our car and drove away. I noticed a family had just got back with some new plants and were out working in the yard. We drove by and my trainer didn't say anything. I just assumed he must have talked to them before. When we got about a mile away ... the spirit told me to go and offer them some help. So we did. When we approached them they turned us down. But, we were persistent and it PAID OFF!! I got dirty...in my slacks and white shirt... but this family has been searching for the truth!! They are more elect than a hose in a pig race!! Turned out they have eight people in their family. (eight kids) We left them with a Book of Mormon and were able to talk about the Gospel with them for two hours. We are going back over their this week. So much potential!! Just have not been able to meet up with them again. One of our investagators will be such a strong member. She has been an investigator forever!!! She knows that if she follows the Savior and is trying to find his church ...she will not be lead astray.
I'm doing amazing... Loving to serve!!
I look forward to talking with you on the phone on Mother's Day!! Love y'all!!
Dear Cody (AKA Still Little Bro),
Everything is going great!! It is crazy how everyone is starting to get their mission calls!! Time has flown by!! Sounds like your team is doing great! Keep up the hard work and thanks for keeping me up to date!!
General conference was amazing!! I loved every second of it!! I love those talks you mentioned and my favorites were the Prophets and Hollands. My favorite quote from his is:
"Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that BELIEVE"
My favorite quote but I love his whole talk but you have to read the quote like he would say it!! You will love your mission ... no matter where you are sent (My guess is Argentina or Spain) God needs you ...he knows your talents and he loves you. It always amazes me but out of everything he could be called ... he asks us to call him Father. He truly loves each and everyone of us. Don't ever feel inadequate or worthless while you are on your mission. God knows you ...he sent you there for a reason. FIND THAT REASON! You are doing great... little bro!! I am proud of you ...keep it up!! Work hard and stay out of trouble!! Sometimes you don't even have to look for trouble to find it!! Use the Atonement and allow it to work in your life.
P.s. I'm going to whoop you when I get back!!
P.s.s. Did you apply for a college? President Nelson said ... we need to before we leave on our missions!! Love you!
Dear Justin,
You are completely fine... I really appreciate your letters!! Conference was Amazing!! I loved the Priesthood session, as well!! I loved both those talks ... too!! I love that scripture, too. In 2nd Corthinians ...one of my favorites in the Bible is in 1st Thessalonians: Ch 1-2. All about missionaries and missionary work. We went to the Temple on March 20. I was pondering how I could be a better missionary, when I picked up the bible and started thumbing through it. I stopped in 1st Thessalonians and began reading the first two chapters. They stood out to me so much. I love Chapter 2:4
"But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth out hearts"
Approved, found worth, chosen... God trusts us so much!! He trusts us with his Gospel. One day you will be found worthy, approved and chosen of God to be a missionary. We need to open our mouths and speak as God!
Keep up the Good work bud!! Work hard! How is your job going? Doing good?
Dear Tanner,
Love you too bud!! I am doing great ...loving every second of my mission. I hope you are doing good in school. Are you still reading in the Book of Mormon? What was your favorite part of conference? Do you have any questions for me? I love you... be good...stay away from girls!!
Love,
Elder Johnson



No comments:
Post a Comment