Monday, April 8, 2013

Email from Branch Mission Leader

After spending about forty minutes e-mailing Michael this morning I received this letter from Michael's Branch Leader in Clinton, North Carolina.  I got through the first couple of sentences and I was in tears!! I was humbled and extremely grateful that this gentleman (a stranger to us) would e-mail us! It was good to hear from someone else that is seeing Michael on a day to day basis.  It was comforting to hear Michael is 'really' doing well and MEMBERS LOVE HIM!!
Brother West's letter:

Br. and Sis. Johnson:
I am the Branch Mission Leader of the Clinton Branch were your son is now serving.  I have been wanting to e-mail you ever since your son arrived in the Clinton area, his first area.  What a wonderful service you did for the Lord in raising Elder Johnson.  I have been in the church since 1975 and Elder Johnson is the best I have been around.  He loves the Lord, his family ( which he loves so much and is thankful for), and serving the people of the Clinton area.  You should have heard his Testimony the last Sunday in March, you would have needed a beach towel to wipe the tears away. You have taught him well (manners, social skills, and serving others).  His knowledge of the scriptures is outstanding.  He is so very humble (he gives you the credit).  I could write you a long letter letting you know what a FINE young man you and the Lord have prepared to serve in the Raleigh, North Carolina Mission.  The MEMBERS LOVE HIM, too.  One thing I was taught when I was sending 4 of my children on missions was if I would get involved in missionary work my children would have success on their missions, I can testify of the Truth of that statement.  We Love your son and thank you for the wonderful example you set for him.  Come to see us in Clinton someday!!!!!!!!!!
Your brother in the Gospel,
Lee West

This was moms response:
Brother West,
 
Thank you so much for your e-mail.  Michael is my first missionary to send into the mission field. Actually the first on both sides of the family.  I'm a convert (the only member in my family) and I know the Lord sent valiant boys (I have five) to build a foundation of strong Priesthood for my family throughout the eternities. Michael came strong and determined, ready to serve and is obedient to his core. It has been extremely hard not speaking to him, for we are close, but your e-mail calmed my soul.
Thanks so much for the bit of advice. We are feeding the missionaries tomorrow and discussing how to activate members. Michael has sent home emails on how his mission at first was activating and the missionaries wanted to know what he shared. 
Thank you so much for sharing, you are an answer to prayers. Please continue to share with us... I love hearing about him, his mission, the branch!  We would love to go to Clinton someday...I'll give it a couple of years!
Love,
Cristine Johnson

This was dads response:
Brother West,
Thank you for the wonderful email. It is great to hear that Michael is doing well. He is an awesome man. I almost said young man, lol. He is our firstborn and our father in heaven knew what he was doing when he sent Michael first. He is a strong, stalwart, and wise man. And very headstrong. I think he gets that from me. Michael's mother did a great job raising him. We miss him immensely. There were times that I would be looking for Michael, thinking he was on the Xbox. I stormed downstairs to tell him to get off the video games, only to find him lying on his bed reading scriptures and taping his favorite scriptures, on 3x5 cards, onto his headboard. We love him very much. He is a great example to his 4 younger brothers. One thing about Michael, he will ALWAYS follow the rules and he will work hard, no matter what. He will, "go and do what The Lord commands." The dynamics of our house has changed since he left. There is definitely a void. His 4 year old brother misses him greatly and asks about him often. Express our love to him please. He will love your branch as if it were his own. Express my love to your branch as well, please. Let them know that they have one of the lords elect and he will do anything for them. And if any of the branch would like to correspond with us please give them my email. Thank you once again for the wonderful email. It sounds like Michael has a great branch mission leader.
Sincerely,
Allen Johnson
 

1 comment:

  1. So teary eyed right now! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Thanks for updating and sharing.

    ReplyDelete