Thursday, May 29, 2014

Chiasmus

Dear Mother,

The library was closed yesterday so I was unable to email. This week was great! We found five new investigators and set a few more baptismal dates. We are working hard! 

This week I have been studying as I always do. And I learned some thing new :O (Like I always do) So this week I was studying about Chiasmus. Its an ancient Hebrew form of writing. The way it works is that there are corresponding word or phrases starting on the outside and work there way into the center which is the main point like a-b-c-d-e-e-d-c-b-a. Well as I have been doing my reading in the Book of Mormon. All the sudden I started noticing a pattern in 3 Nephi 19. It goes like this.
a-21. I PRAY thee
    b-21. in their WORDS.
        c-22. FATHER, thou
            d-22. and they PRAY unto me
                f-22. I AM with them (JESUS)
                    g-23. I PRAY unto for them
                        h-23. on their WORDS
                            i-23. THAT I MAY BE IN THEM AS THOU, FATHER, ART IN ME, THAT WE MAY BE ONE.
                                   j-24. thus PRAYED unto
                                    k-24. the FATHER 
                                        l-24. many WORDS
                                            m-24. should PRAY 
                                                n-25. that JESUS blessed them
                                 o-25. HIS COUNTENANCE
                                         o-25. COUNTENANCE . . . OF JESUS
                                                n-26. and JESUS said
                                            m-28. I PRAY for
                                        l-28. their WORDS
                                    k-29. FATHER
                                j-29. I PRAY 
                            i-29. THAT I MAY BE IN THEM AS THOU, FATHER, ART IN ME, THAT WE MAY BE ONE.
                        h-30. these WORDS
                    g-30. did PRAY steadfastly
                f-30. even as JESUS
            d- 31. PRAYED unto
        c-31. the FATHER
    b-32. the WORDS which 
a- 32. he PRAYED.

Is it not amazing!! When we read this part we can truly see what the author was trying to get across. He wants us to pray unto the father as Christ (His son) would! So that we may be blessed to be one with the Father and the Son. We do this through prayer which brings "His" countenance upon us. We then become one with God and our Savior as we bring the countenance of Jesus upon us. Christ wants us to be ONE with him! How amazing is that! 
Another interesting fact is that this form of writing also strengthens my testimony of the Book of Mormon! How could Joseph Smith who had a 3rd grade education write in a Hebrew form of writing when NO ONE else in america knew what a Chiasmus was! Its just proof that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon by the Gift of God. Because God knows all and is able to get the authors point across a lot better than a normal translator. 
I know the Book of Mormon is true with all my heart and not only because of this but because I have read it and have prayed and asked God if it is true. I have received an answer from Him, THAT IT IS HIS WORD! I know it with all my heart!!  I also know that any honest seeker of truth ... will find that it is as well! 

Love Y'all!!

1 comment: